We strive to have a diversity of your favorite fruits and vegetables each week. Below are a few sample weeks from the 2016 growing season and the value of each item (the pricing for items varies based on how much is offered and aims to match current farmer’s market prices for organic produce. The price is listed to help you understand the savings that can be realized if it is a good year for farming.).
Week 2: lettuce mix $4, spinach $4, spicy salad mix $4, green onions $2, green garlic $2, shunkyo radishes $3, hakurei turnips $3, cilantro $2, and chive blossoms $2
Week 15: sauerkraut or kim chi $10, tomatoes $4, aronia berries $5, carrots $3, beets or zucchini $3, head lettuce $2, kale and chard $3, onions or leeks $3, garlic $1, and choose two herbs $4 Extras: amaranth greens, spicy salad mix, sorrel, and chicory
Week 25: winter squash or sweet potatoes $5, maitake mushrooms $5, pears $2, kale $3, lettuce mix $3, spicy mix $3, arugula $3, spinach $3, leeks or onions $3, garlic $1, and choose two herbs $4 Extras: peppers, tomatillos, and baby carrots
Below is a list of the crops we grow and forage from the neighborhood.
- greens: lettuce, spicy salad mix, arugula, spinach, kale, chard, bok choy, cabbage, collards, mustard, malabar spinach and more
- roots: carrots, beets, radishes, turnips, and parsnips
- herbs: cilantro, parsley, dill, basil, mint, celery leaf, sage, chives, oregano, thyme, rosemary, lemon balm, rhubarb, and more!
- alliums: garlic, onions, leeks, shallots, and chives
- fruits: tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, apples, pears, sour cherries, aronia berries, service berries, raspberries, strawberries, elderberries, wild plums, and peaches (All perennial fruits listed may not be available as they are more sensitive to weather variations and seasonal changes)
- tubers: potatoes, sweet potatoes, and sunchokes
- fermented foods: sauerkraut, kim chi, hot sauce, Pete’s smoky beets, apple cider vinegar, kombucha, and herbal beers
- apple and pear cider
When available we will also offer some fruit and vegetable starts to kick-start your garden.
We are friends with many local organic farmers around Iowa City and will occasionally trade or purchase there food if we have a light week or want to add diversity to the shares.